How to transfer a large file or folder via the Internet
- Method 1: Google Drive
- Method 2: Yandex Disk
- Method 3: Mail
- Method 4: uTorrent
- Method 5: TeamViewer
- Method 6: "Home Group"
Sometimes it becomes necessary to transfer large amounts of information between users. Yes, for this it is most convenient to use external media, for example, a flash drive, since in this case the process of transferring a file to a couple of gigabytes will take only a few minutes. But what if there is no flash drive at hand? Is there a way to transfer big data over the Internet.
First of all, it should be understood that the process in most cases will take longer than if the transfer was carried out through third-party media (the only exception is users with high-speed Internet). Also do not forget that the transfer speed will directly depend on the speed of the Internet.
Method 1: Google Drive
This is one of the most famous and popular cloud services in the world, allowing you to share and store files in the "cloud". Unfortunately, users of a free subscription have limitations in the form of only 15 gigabytes of server space, therefore, sending a larger file using this method will not work.
Consider how you can share a large file using the Google Drive service:
- Go to the service site. To start using it, you need to be registered with Google, that is, to have a mailbox on Gmail. In this case, the registration process will not be considered.
- Click on the "Create" button, which is located in the upper left part of the window.
- From the context menu, select the option “Upload file” or “Upload folder” depending on your needs.
- In the "Explorer" select the desired item and click on "Download . "
- Wait until the download is complete. It depends on the file size and Internet speed for a long time.
- Now select the downloaded file or folder by clicking on it with the right mouse button.
- In the context menu, click on the item "Enable access by reference" or "Sharing" . Their main differences:
- “Access by reference” allows you to provide access to any person to a file / folder by the generated link. This person may not have an account with Google, but at the same time he will be able to download the file to his device;
- "Sharing" . Here you can select the person to whom you want to open access to the file by entering the address of his Gmail. Except for you and this person, no one will get access to the file / folder. Access rights can be set separately, for example, to prohibit this person to make any changes, allowing only downloading.
- Suppose you selected the option "Enable access by reference . " In this case, Google will generate a unique link for your file that you can share with anyone.
- After clicking on the link, you will only need to click on the “Download” button and select the directory on the computer where the file will be downloaded.
You may be interested in:
How to use image search in Google
How to clear Google Chrome browser cache
Method 2: Yandex Disk
In many ways similar to Google Drive with certain exceptions, for example, here only 10 gigabytes is provided to the user for free use. Also, the interface between the two services is very different. The main "chip" Yandex Disk is the presence of a special application that helps speed up the download of large files (larger than 2 GB) to a virtual disk. However, you can download via the service’s web interface without downloading third-party programs.
To use Yandex Disk you need to register on Yandex services. To do this, as in the case of Google, you just need to get mail on Yandex Mail. In the framework of this manual, we will not stop at the registration process.
Consider how to upload a file to Disk using a special application:
- First you need to download and install it on your computer. Click on the link "Install a disk for Windows . "
- After downloading the installer, run it. The installation procedure is standard. You just need to read the license agreement and click "Next" .
- After installing Yandex Disk on your computer, you first need to restart.
- Now open the "Explorer" . On the left side you can see the Yandex Disk icon. You need to open it.
- Yandex Disk in this case will open as a regular folder "Explorer" . Here transfer the necessary file. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to follow the download process, but your files will already be in this folder on your computer. On the disk, they will have to boot up on a normal internet connection in about 30 minutes or a couple of hours (depending on the size).
You can also download files directly from the Yandex Disk web interface without downloading any programs. Consider how to do this:
- Go to the Yandex Disk site. Pay attention to the "Download" button, which is located in the upper left part of the site.
- Unfortunately, using this method you can only download a specific file or archive. Uploading folders is not possible. In Windows Explorer, specify the file you want to load onto the Disk.
- Wait until the download is complete. The download may take longer than if you used the application, but at the same time you can follow its progress.
Now, regardless of the method you used to upload files to Disk, you need to send them to another user. You can do this as follows:
- Select the added file by clicking on it with the left mouse button.
- In the top menu, select the option "Share . "
- The service will generate a unique link for your file. Note that the switch opposite it is in the active position.
- You can share this link on social networks ( In contact with , Classmates , Facebook etc.), and you can send the link itself by copying it. Copying is done by pressing a special button or the key combination Ctrl + C.
- The person who received your link, just click on the "Download" button and select the directory where the file will be saved.
DropMeFiles free file sharing service without registration
ODT to DOC Converters Online
Method 3: Mail
Some email services can also be used as a kind of cloud storage, but they will be inferior in functionality, but this is not a hindrance for the task described in this article. Not all services can work correctly with sending large files, so as an example, consider Gmail from Google.
The instruction is as follows:
- Log in to your mail. Click on the "Write" button, which is located in the upper left corner.
- In the "To" field you need to write the e-mail of the users to whom you are going to send the message. Here you can specify multiple users, as well as your e-mail, if you send yourself.
- The “subject” and the message entry field can be left blank.
- To share a file from your computer, click on the paperclip icon at the bottom of the message field.
- A “Explorer” will open where you need to select the file to be sent.
- Wait until the file has been downloaded and click on the “Submit” button.
- The user who received the file will be able to make changes to it, save it to Google Drive or to your computer. To do this, use the appropriate buttons. For example, to download to a computer, you need to click on the icon in the form of a down arrow.
- When downloading, you will also need to select the directory where the file will be saved.
Method 4: uTorrent
With uTorrent, you can download not only pirated content from the Internet, but also transfer files between users via the Internet. Fortunately, there is no need to register anywhere, and the transmission rate of this method is quite high. The only condition is that this torrent client should be installed on two computers, the other will most likely not work.
Let's take a look at how to transfer large files using the uTorrent program:
- Run the program, and open the "Explorer" .
- Here you need to select the file that you want to transfer to another user or yourself, but just to another computer. Drag this file to the torrent track's work area.
- A window will appear where you are invited to set a link for the file. By default, this will be the file name. If it is in Cyrillic, it is recommended to change the name to Latin characters. To complete the link, click on the “Get Link” button.
- Depending on the size of the file, creating a distribution may take some time. At the expiration of which you will receive an alert on the successful creation of distribution. Close this window using the cross icon.
- In the distribution section, you will see your file, where instead of the download indicator there will be a red bar labeled “Seeding” or “Distributed” . Right-click on it and select “Copy Magnet-URL” from the context menu.
- This address you need to send to the person who needs to receive the file. You can also send it to yourself.
In this manual, you have just created a distribution for your file, but you also need to download it using the resulting Magnet address:
- Open uTorrent on the computer where you needed to transfer this file.
- Click on "File" in the top menu.
- From the context menu, select the option "Add by URL" .
- In the window that opens, insert the Magnet address that you copied earlier and click "Ok" .
- The file will start downloading. You will be asked to choose where to save it.
- Wait for the download to complete.
Method 5: TeamViewer
The TeamViewer program is used to remotely control another user's computer, but with its help also send files between computers. To use this option, you will need to install the program on both your computer and the computer that receives the file.
Instructions for this method are as follows:
- Run the program on both computers.
- In the field “Partner ID” enter the ID of another computer to which you want to transfer files. The ID address can be viewed in the “Your ID” field, which is located on the left side of the program window.
- Put a marker in front of the item "File Transfer" .
- Click "Connect" .
- A window will appear where you need to enter a password that will be generated on the partner's computer. After entering click "Login" .
- A window for transferring files opens, which is divided into two areas. In the left pane, your computer is displayed by default, and in the right computer of your partner. In the left part, select the file you want to send.
- Select it with a mouse click and click on the “Send” button at the top of the window, or simply drag it into the adjacent window.
- Wait until the end of sending.
Method 6: "Home Group"
In this case, the creation of something like a local network is implied. Both computers should be connected to the same network (ideally, the router). "Homegroup" is a few computers running Windows that are interconnected in a network. The user can transfer files between them using an Internet connection, plus there is the ability to transfer data in offline mode.
Let's look at how this is done:
- Initially, you need to open the Home Group element itself. The easiest way to do this is through the system search bar, which is called in Windows 10 by clicking on the magnifying glass icon in the "Taskbar" .
- In the search bar, enter "Homegroup" and select the first available option.
- An introductory window will open. If you do not have any "home groups", then you will be asked to create it. Click on the "Create a home group" button.
- In the next window, just click on “Next” . Here is just an introductory information.
- Now you need to select the items that will be available to members of the "Home Group" . You can leave them by default or disable some, if any unauthorized users will use the local network. When finished with the settings, click "Next" .
- The process of obtaining all permissions will begin. It is necessary that at this time were included all the computers in the local network. As a rule, this process does not take much time.
- A window will open with a password that you will need to use to make changes to the composition or any important settings of the "Homegroup" itself . It is recommended to save it somewhere. You can also print it using a special button.
- Now open the "Explorer" . Here you can see the “Homegroup” on the left side of the window. Navigate to the folder where the folder or file is located that you want to send to the computer that is part of the Homegroup .
- Click on them with the right mouse button and select the item “Home group (view and edit)” from the context menu.
As you can see, there are many ways to transfer large files and folders via the Internet. In fact, there are many more services that allow you to perform this operation, but they are very similar to the options already considered.